Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Wednesday Top Ten List
One thing that I've always envisioned for my blog was a weekly tradition... you might recall "Champ/Chump" of the Week" or how I tried to designate a day to post about food. That is, until I realized I think about food too often to limit myself to blogging about it once a week. Those weekly initiatives failed. So I'm going to start small and commit myself to posting a "Top Ten" list every Wednesday.
My first top ten list needs a little back story. It is an homage to a popular wrestling t-shirt (folkstyle/collegiate. Not WWE). To a certain extent this t-shirt may very well be the one common bond that brings high schools wrestlers across the nation together. I speak of course of the infamous "Top Ten Reasons To Date a Wrestler" shirt. Every kid who has wrestled in high school either owns this shirt, knows someone who owns it or wishes they owned it. I could probably name five people who own it not including myself. To call the shirt corny would be an understatement and there really wasn't anything special about it. The shirt is simply ten common wrestling facts turned into sexual innuendoes (e.g. "#4 always wears his head gear", "#7 will eat anything" and my personal favorite "#6 Knows How To Ride"). You get the picture. In retrospect, wearing the shirt was really more like wearing a "badge of loyalty" if you wil. The shirt is so popular that it has become more of a token to the wrestling community.
A Mason once told me that all Masonic brothers learn secret codes that are made to act as beacons. There are secret gestures or code words that one can say when they are in distress so that if a nearby brother is present they can assist their fellow Mason. So, wearing the shirt is kind of the same thing. It's like a shout out to any wrestlers who might be around. you're saying to them "Hey, I too was stuck in a gym on a Saturday so long that I actually thought this was cool and buying this lame ass shirt was the best part of my day."
In honor of the Top Ten Reasons to Date a Wrestler shirt... here are the Top Ten Signs Wrestling Dictates Your Life:
1. You have a Wrestling USA tattoo or a tattoo of equal insignificance somewhere on your body
2. You have special underwear for weigh ins/ pajama pants for tournaments
3. You can't stand to eat energy bars between March and September
4. You have posted on a local wrestling forum
5. Your high school wrestling coach is in your cell phone.
6. You haven't had a real Thanksgiving dinner in more than 3 years
7. You know the name of every Gatorade flavor (e.g. Riptide Rush, Fierce Melon, X-Factor etc.)
8. You have torn your ACL or know someone who has
9. You have a pair of jeans that don't fit in the winter
10. You own a Top Ten Reasons Shirt