Friday, July 10, 2009

Mercadito


I make it a habit to read the daily specials written on the chalkboards in front of restaurants. On several occasions I've come across some of the best deals in the city (i.e. unlimited Coors Light and Bon Chon chicken wings during Happy Hour). However, this last week on Ave B I stumbled upon what might have been the five most glorious words to grace the front of any restaurant...

"ALL YOU CAN EAT TACOS"

For $21 you can get any of the 8 different tacos at Mercadito Cantina. Located on Ave B between 11th and 12th St the cantina has a modern and minimalist interior mostly consisting of varnished wood paneling. Tacos here are of a different world. As a native Angelino, I hold my tacos to the standard of those street tacos on which I grew up, but these are simply put, something else. Other than the standard double corn tortilla foundation the filling of Mercadito tacos are of the highest quality and sauces/salsa.

For your convenience, and since no reasonable person would pass up this opportunity. I've ranked my favorite tacos

1. Pescado - topped with pickled onions and fried to perfection

2. Carnitas - Smokey chipotle sauce

3. Shrimp - battered and served with a cool jalepeno slaw

1 comment:

arey11 said...

sounds good and all but for $21???? you crazy. I rather go all you can eat korean bbq.